Thursday, May 8, 2008

Sweet May

Partly Cloudy
Partly Cloudy
Low
48° F
Some clouds. Low 48F. Winds NW at 10 to 20 mph.
Heavy Rain
Heavy Rain
High
57° F
Showers in the morning with a steady rain developing in the afternoon. The rain will be heavy at times. High 57F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph. Rainfall possibly over one inch.


The past week and a half in the garden has been very productive! Jon and I took some time off to work on the house and garden (and got to a wedding), and we are happy with the progress. Since the stump came out of the garden (I know, pictures are still pending...) I put in the pole beans, but I think they may have gone in a little too early. We'll see! Also, I planted lettuce (3 types), 2 types of spinach, and beets. This weekend I will begin some seeds inside for the warmer weather veggies. We used landscaping cloth for the veggie garden to keep the weeds down, and I am finding it a bit of a pain as I have to slice through it to plant. I think I would rather just go out there everyday and pull up the darn things than smother them!

In the front garden, I planted a few different types of phlox and ripped out every single dandelion I could see. I also pulled up the dead grass and found grubs, so we went out and bought grub killer. We have bare patches on the lawn, but it's still early in the season and we reseeded the whole area. Also, I cleaned out another rock garden area to the right of our house and identified a plant that I knew was something, and not just a weed. It's a mayapple plant, and they grow wild to carpet the forest floor. They look like little umbrellas that frogs and toads would use, so I kept a few of them. I also found a white fern bleeding heart. It's tiny! And another flower I've seen before but can't identify. Click here for some pictures. I've been having some issues uploading the pictures here, so these are on the Kodakgallery website.

In the back I've expanded the herb garden to include curry, rosemary, and strawberries! My sister gave me a bunch of cuttings from her yard including beebalm, rose campion, lamb's ear, shasta daisies, black eyed susies, purple coneflower, hollyhock (we think!), and some sedum. There are a few others I can't remember right now, but she labeled the pots for me and I made a map of the new plantings. Jon is talking about putting in a walkway from the herb garden to the garage so we dont keep trampling on the grass seed. That may be a next year project though...we have a few lined up already!

So, this weekend it's: seedlings inside, planting of sweetpeas, weeding or the OTHER rock area, and more general clean-up! Our 3-season porch isn't finished yet (a new roof is delaying it now) but I'm hoping by the 4th of July we'll be able to sit and look out at all the greenery!

Enjoy the spring weather!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I like your page, and your profile picture (the print with the fairy in the garden scene with the spider web) is very pretty, but you don't credit the artist! Was this your own personal work (if so, congratulations--it's lovely!), or can you share your source, so I can check out the rest of the artist's work? Thank you!
...and happy gardening!