Saturday, April 26, 2008

Conquoring tree stumps

Showers Late
Showers Late
Low
41° F
Cloudy skies early, then off and on rain showers overnight. Low 41F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
AM Showers
AM Showers
High
60° F
Showers in the morning, then cloudy in the afternoon. High around 60F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%

This past week has been very busy in the garden. Last weekend we transplanted the white hostas that were blocking the way into the garden. I ended up giving some to my mother and my sister-in-law, and still have enough to line the driveway, back fence, and area on the side of the garage. All in all, I had a full wheelbarrow of them. When I shut my eyes the image of hosta roots was burned into the back of my eyelids.

This past Monday I planted perriwinlke's cousin Myrtle between the two dogwoods in our yard, and began the herb garden where the hostas had been. Jon has put in a path in the middle of them with some stones, and will be building a small stair into the backyard as well. He also reseeded the backyard so hopefully we will have some beautiful grass this summer to sit on. I also began digging up the vegetable garden, and had gotten to the top of it when I discovered it: the hidden tree stump. All morning I had carried the brush pile off the potential garden plot, turned up the dead grass and tore out roots. Being that last fall I dug up 3 smaller stumps, I assumed that I could do it. Four hours later I was still digging. The stump had lots of large roots and a large base. Come Monday evening I was still digging and had to stop for the week.


On Saturday, we finished putting the herb garden in, and had a great victory over the pine stump in the garden. Jon kept saying we would need a truck to pull it out, but we went and bought a pinch bar and managed to dig and lever it out. It only took a few more hours, but we did it!
Here is a picture of the garden before we finished it...more pics posted later :)

No comments: