Thursday, April 3, 2008

Waiting in the wings

Sunny
Sunny

High
55° F
Precip:
0%
Sunny. High around 55F. Winds SW at 10 to 20 mph.


Rain / Snow Showers Late
Rain / Snow Showers Late
Low
35° F
Precip:
40%
Partly cloudy skies this evening will give way to cloudy skies with light rain and snow developing overnight. Low around 35F. Winds SSW at 10 to 15 mph.




The cold weather moved back in the past few days with a biting wind, making it hard to work outside. Yesterday I got home in time to check on the new bulbs coming up and took some pictures. To the right is one of my crocus patches. Yes, I need to clear those leaves, but the wind is really shuffling things around our yard...and blowing our neighbors unbagged leaves all over our lawn.


The tulips are coming up more each day. Here on the left is a row that are coming up in the front of the house. I planted a whole bunch, and it's nice to see my hours out in the garden last fall are paying off!

New buds have formed on the lilacs (pic to the right!) and forsythia bushes. We are lucky to have 5 lilacs and two giant forsythias to give us flowers quiet soon. I found a friend hiding under the forsythia bush...a robin! Our yard has been full of robins lately and I hope that they make a few nests around our house. We have lots of earth worms for them.

I am glad that I cleaned out the lilies last week because I noticed some new growth! It's great seeing green come up from the cracking earth.

This weekend I am hoping the weather holds out so I can finish cleaning the yard up. I am also going to organize my supplies and see what I need to start seeds and such. Even though the frost free date is well over a month away, I'm very eager to begin. Just one or two more weeks before I can begin sowing indoors. As our southern facing back porch gets lots of warm sunshine, it is the perfect place to set up shop. Once we finish drywalling and setting the floor of course!

No comments: