Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Gray Northeast

The garden is slowly growing. Spinach, kale, and lettuce have sprouted. The peas and beans are no where to be seen. Jon built a nice trellis in the front for the clematis, and the hostas are all coming up.

My plan is to move many of the hostas from their current locations as they become so huge each year they kill the grass around the front of the house, block the front path, and in general are annoying. I think I will move them to the edge of the property where our neighbors have just built a lovely rock wall. Then we can focus on landscaping the bare areas.

Our plan is to bring in a bulldozer, but I'm not sure that will work out.

From the bulbs I planted when we moved in nearly 4 years ago (that long!?) in the front rock area only about 7 came up. There is a chipmunk village living underneath so I'm sure a few have kept them going through the long winter. But there are some lovely hyacinth.

The weather has been atrocious, but the grass is slowly turning greener. I'm hoping for some good weather tomorrow to get out there and clean up the front area. All the leaves and trees are even behind. This time last year the blossoms were all past and there were lots of leaves on the trees. Now the daffodils are still blooming, the tulips aren't open yet, and the trees are just starting to bud. I'm hoping this weekend will be a nice showcase of blossoms. Just in time for May Day! Get your May Poles ready...


Next up: window boxes! Any suggestions for spring window box flowers?

No comments: