Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Early spring in Zone 6

Partly Cloudy / Wind
Partly Cloudy / Wind
High
57° F
Precip:
20%
A mix of clouds and sun with gusty winds. High 57F. Winds WSW at 20 to 30 mph.

Clear
Clear
Low
31° F
Precip:
10%
Mainly clear. Low 31F. Winds W at 10 to 20 mph.
Spring has finally arrived. Although waking up this morning with a dusting of snow on the ground was disappointing, the warm air that blew in this morning is wonderful! This week the tulips are beginning to pop above ground, and some daffodils that are sheltered are about 5 inches up. There are also 2 hyacinths coming up, but I'm worried that the weather will freeze them! As they are left over from the last owners, I'll just have to wait and see.

I received seed packets yesterday from my sister. Bush beans, pole beans, zinnia, giant pumpkins, summer squash, sunflowers, and more. We are going to have a pumpkin growing contest this summer. However, before anything is planted, much is needed to be done to what will be my garden. This spring I will be digging out a new garden, revitalizing some of the flowers that were there when we moved in last year, moving and dividing hostas, building a herb garden, and in general re-landscaping the yard. I have 1/3 of an acre to work with, and cannot wait to begin digging in the dirt.

No comments: